Saturday, August 17, 2013

On Finishing Well

Over the summer my family traveled back to the US for home assignment. As most of you missionary moms know, home assignment (furlough, or whatever else you call it!) is never easy, especially with little ones. You may find yourselves always on the go, re-teaching your kids every time you travel what they can and can't touch in the places you're staying, meeting people all the time... I guess I don't need to describe it to you. :)
Airplane Leaving
As with most things in life, we tend to start our home assignments strong. We may not be thrilled about the road ahead, but we do our best to do a good job and glorify God while doing it. We were only on home assignment for 2 months (9 weeks to be exact), but by the end of our trip, I was ready to check out and go home! This introvert had seen my share of friends and family members. I was tired and
wanting longing for our own space again.
So naturally, I wanted to check out.
But God doesn't want us to do that. He wants us to finish our race well. Whether we're finishing our time on home assignment or finishing our time on the field, he wants us to glorify him and finish well.
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (ESV)
Finishing well isn't always easy. We're tired. We want to go home. I found that God gives us strength to finish if we ask him. It's easier said than done, but trusting in God through those last couple of weeks and days can make all the difference. It just takes a few days of constantly coming before him, seeking his grace and strength.
So dear friend, "May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy..." (Colossians 1:11) and may you finish well!

How have you found strength in God to finish well?


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Today is our last day in this location. I have tried to be very intentional about finishing well this time. With lots of prayer, and by God's grace, I think I have been able to. I don't feel like I "turned off" early this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your move goes well, Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just returned after 9 weeks on home assignment as well. The homestretch was a struggle, and I think your perspective is great!

    ReplyDelete